Sunday, July 1, 2012

Girls might be able to grill, but sometimes...

....a certain girl forgets to defrost the chicken all the way!  Ugh.  Dinner tonight was ruined because of my assumption that the chicken I took out of the freezer and put into a resealable bag with marinade would be thawed in time.  Lesson learned: check on it halfway through the day, or at least more than 5 minutes before you turn on the grill.  Luckily my hubby was able to run down to Whole Foods to grab some meat to grill burgers.

The good news?  I made some amazing potato salad.


Measurements are approximate because I did not measure anything.

2.5 pounds red skin potatoes (1/2 the 5 pound bag)
1 cup mayo
2 TBSP white vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard ( I used Grey Poupon)
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 stalks celery
1/2 sweet white onion (I used Vidalia...yum!  But sometimes I am not in an onion mood so I omit it)

I washed the potatoes and cut them into quarters (or more to make them even-sized.)  Put them into a large pot of salted water which I had started, but was not boiling yet.  I boiled the potatoes until they were fork tender.  Drained them and rinsed with cool water to remove extra starch.  While they were still warm I was able to rub the skins off and cut the potatoes into smaller pieces.

Mix the mayo, vinegar, mustard and spices until smooth.  I like to whisk it.  I always taste it here to see if it needs more of anything.  Some people add 1 tsp of sugar to cut the acid.  I didn't think it needed it today, but sometimes I do.  Add the celery and onion and mix again.  Add the potatoes and fold the mixture over so as not to damage the potatoes but also to mix it all evenly.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I actually like it best right at this point, when the potatoes are still slightly warm.  It is so fresh and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment