Thursday, July 7, 2011

Welcome to Girls Can Grill, or GCG as Vinnie put it

Anyone who knows me knows that I love food.  I love almost every part about it...buying it, cooking, baking and always eating it.  I watch Food Network and Cooking channel and read books about food and restaurants.  This year I had decided I was going to build garden beds and even grow my own food.  But then I scheduled to hand surgeries, pretty much back to back right in the beginning and crucial part of growing season.  The one thing that I was never really into doing was grilling.  You see, I grew up in a household of male grillers.  My dad is The Griller and I have 3 fire-loving brothers who would join him or fill in as needed.  Even when I was out on my own, I cooked and baked with regularity but frankly, I was afraid of the grill.

I didn't know how it operated.  I was slightly afraid of the flames.  I was really afraid if I had to light it myself with a match.  I had seen my brother singe his hairline and eyebrows enough times to know that it was a true possibility.  Call me vain, but I just don't want to lose my eyelashes, eyebrows or any speck of hair!

The summer that Lilly was born I started to use the grill once in a while.  I know that Vinnie thought (and might still think) that the grill is his domain.  And he can and does grill really delicious food for us.    But I was curious to see if I could be as good a griller as I am a baker or cook.  I know I am not making restaurant food, but I think I am pretty good and my food tastes pretty delicious.  The first 2 summers were okay and I stuck to pretty basic burgers and dogs and the occasional london broil.  Last summer Vinnie bought a Weber and oh my, did that make all the difference in the world.

This blog might become more about food in general, rather than just grilling, but it is summer after all and grilling is the name of the game in the summertime.  So, I hope you enjoy reading about my grilling journey.  Comment, give suggestions, comment again!

No comments:

Post a Comment