Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grilled vegetables and chicken

It was while I was grilling this dinner last night that I was inspired to blog my grilling journey.

For the record, I am currently using commercial seasonings and barbecue sauces but making my own is what I really want to do.  My plan is to cook using the bottled, pre-made sauces so that I can get an idea of what qualities I want or like in a sauce.  Then I can start experimenting.  Besides, they are delicious!!

I started by slicing thick chicken breasts into thinner filets and trimming all the yucky parts.  That part about preparing food has always grossed me out but I am trying to just get over it.  I put all the pieces into a zippable plastic bag with maybe a half bottle of barbecue sauce.  I put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

I grabbed the yellow and green squash (in season in NJ right now, so farm-fresh) and after washing them I sliced them down the entire length into thinnish slices.  I sprinkled a little kosher salt on them before bringing them out to the grill.

I brushed the length with olive oil and put them on a hot grill.  I flipped a few times (using tongs) and kept thicker slices on a bit longer.  Some of the thinner slices lost some seeds to the cause when sticking to the grill.  The reason I flipped a few times was because after grilling both sides I realized that the 2nd side was dome more to my liking, so back on they went.
I ended up letting get way more grilled than this, but you can see how I sliced them.

When the veggies were done, the chicken went on.  I put them on the grill and turned the heat on all 3 burners to 3/4.  I have to be honest, I don't time my meat.  I am not sure why, since I always use a timer when I am cooking in the oven.  I just look at it after a few minutes and see if I can turn it over easily.  If not, then I let it sit a few minutes longer so I don't lose half my chicken to the grill grates.
huh...it won't rotate and it made the picture all fuzzy.

After the chicken was finished we all trouped inside to eat our meal.  The complete meal was: grilled chicken with barbecue sauce, grilled summer squash and crunchy coleslaw salad.  This recipe is courtesy of my Aunt Cathy and I think it is insanely delicious and summery.  It was so good.  I know it was my own food an all, but wow...the chicken was moist and flavorful, the squash's natural sweetness was brought out by the grill and the crunchy coleslaw was a perfect accompaniment.


When I have time later I will post the crunchy coleslaw recipe...it will be the hit of your next summer get together!

No comments:

Post a Comment