Sunday, January 20, 2013

Amazing slow cooker chicken part 2

I used some leftover chicken to make chicken nachos. 

As I was writing about the amazing slow cooker chicken I made today, I realized that, though I had meant to post my other amazing slow cooker chicken recipe ages ago, I never had.  I love this recipe.  I make it all the time.  It makes tons of chicken, which is easily freezable, and then reheated again.  It is very versatile and can be used in all different ways.  We generally use it for chicken tacos the first day and then over rice when we reheat it.  I have made nachos, like the picture above, and also enchiladas.  The last time I made it I was thinking of making a chicken soup with it, but we ate it all before I could!

I got the original recipe from my friend Caroline who got it from allrecipe.com.  It was so delicious that I needed to make it almost immediately.  Over the past few years I have fine-tuned and altered the recipe a bit, as I tend to do.

Slow Cooker Garlicky Lime Chicken

1pound of chicken I have used thighs and/or breasts
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 teaspoon white sugar though you can substitute agave or honey for the sweetness
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-2 onions, I half and then quarter the halves, but you can slice them thinly if you want.
3 green onions, sliced I have done without, too, if I was out of them.
2-4 cloves garlic, I just smash them a bit
1 Tablespoon dried oregano 

Put all those ingredients in the slow cooker, laying the onions so that the chicken can rest on top.  Put the chicken right on top.   Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.  Shred with 2 forks when it's done and use it however you wish!  Freeze any extra in freezer bags and re-heat in a little broth or water.

The shredded chicken.  You can see the onions and how caramelized they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment